s159
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

5 posters

Go down

Let's Play Dwarf Fortress! Empty Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

Post by Chaoswizkid Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Huzzah for the generic starting thread.
Anyway, here's the deal:

For those of you who don't know, Dwarf Fortress is an ASCII "Roguelike" freeware game developed by two brothers over at www.bay12games.com. It's supported by monthly donations by a rather large following, as DF is definately a quality game, and shows immense promise though it is years away from its final release. By no means does that make it not 100% playable, though.

So why am I posting this in the RP thread? Well, a trend over at Bay12 for Dwarf Fortress is to start "Community Fortresses". Basically, players take turns with a set amount of time controlling a Fortress in the game. This could be anywhere from a season to a year in game time before saves are traded. Naturally, they like to have a thread in a forum about this so they can keep up with everything. They also like to make detailed accounts of exactly what they did so that people after them can follow along easily enough.

However, there are some community fortresses that atain a "legendary" status and there are common references throughout Bay12 about them. These community fortresses, such as the infamous "Boatmurdered", go deep into their own stories with roleplaying, weaving intricate tales out of the happenings on-screen.

So here's my proposal: Those already experienced in Dwarf Fortress can sign up and vote for who starts, any site limitations (no magma, no vegetation, haunted, etc.), and the amount of time each player will have. Players who sign up will get one of the seven starting dwarves, and may choose their name, professions, etc.

Keep in mind when doing so that this is also a team-effort. Having all military dwarves at the start may prove to be quite funny, but it could also easily doom us, especially in more difficult areas.

The most normal setup has: Miner, Mason, Stone Detailer, Carpenter, Woodcutter, Cooking, Brewing, Crafting (Various), Metalsmithing (Various), Grower, Herbalist, Mechanic, Appraiser.
Although you aren't limited to those skills, those are the bases we'll eventually need to cover. Even if your dwarf has other skills, they may be forced to do any of the above jobs.

When choosing skills, you may choose any number of them, but you only have 10 points to spend, with the maximum any skill can be at the start being 5. You could dabble in 10 skills, or your could be proficient at only two, and anywhere inbetween. Being better at any skill increases efficiency of that skill (greatly, in some cases), so quality is, in this case, better than quantity.

Spoiler:

Also vote for the things I outlined above, such as the first leader, etc.

Rules:
Unmodded DF of the latest version (I don't think the D# versions affect save games, so just D is fine). No cheat programs unless authorized for something tasteful.

Current Ideas up for Vote:
Changing Goblins so they do not spawn with useless, redundant items that only add to clutter. Weapons/Armor only.

Any questions or anything I haven't pointed out?

Chaoswizkid

Back to top Go down

Let's Play Dwarf Fortress! Empty Re: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress!

Post by GrayWatch Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm in.
Graywatch

Skill: Outpost Manager, Architect (Organizer and Building-Designer respectively)

Backstory:After his gift to the baron (intended as an ornamental fountain in his room, hooked to a pressure plate) resulted in the entirety of the barons rooms being encased in ice, wife, child, pet mandrill and the hammerer included he was exiled.

In his classic and usual absentmindedness he has assumed he is being sent to design either A)A luxury hotel or B) a maximum security prison.
As he is unsure which he hopes to incorporate aspects of both in his design. He is under the impression that those coming after him will be either prisoners (for doing forced labor) or hotel staff(for the same, except whoever does the bookkeeping will see about paying them)

Last edited by GrayWatch on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
GrayWatch
GrayWatch
RP DM
RP DM

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomcowgod Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:55 pm

I can try!

Kharn

Skill: Smithdwarf, Axedwarf

Backstory: Sent to the ass end of nowhere for mistaking humans for elves and lighting a full caravan of them on fire.

Last edited by Doomcowgod on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Doomcowgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaoswizkid Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:04 pm

For age, it's dwarven-equivalent. 18-22 is roughly Young Adult. 23-34 is roughly Young-Middle Aged. 35 - 55 is roughly Middle Aged. 56-75 is roughly Old-Middle Aged. 76-99 is Old. 100+ is Elder. We don't have that kind for ourselves, but Dwarves definitely get more experience (and insanity) as they get older, so a 120 year old Dwarf would be an incredbily long-lived dwarf who'd be nearly sage-like. Or confuse children for whales.

Chaoswizkid

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayWatch Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:26 am

On that note I have a generated world/site I would like to volunteer. It contains Magma Pipe, Cave River, Bottomless Pit, Underground Pool, and Sand.

Urist McDwarf cancels Looking For Child: Interrupted by Whale.
GrayWatch
GrayWatch
RP DM
RP DM

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuv Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Tentacle Therapist (or T.T for short.)

Skill: Bonecrafting (2)
Woodcrafting (2)
Metalworking/crafting whatever it is called, (2)
Leatherworking (2)
Weaving (2)

Backstory: Most likely to die by fey mood. An aging dwarf, looking to perfect his crafting in the strange new lands.

I vote for a heavily forested, flat, Sinister or Haunted map, with no river, and preferably an aquifer. Outdoor growing, or 1 Z-level down growing, mostly above-ground fortress.
Tuv
Tuv

Back to top Go down

Post by GrayWatch Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:57 pm

You wanna throw the Orc mod in there too? Just to be sure we all die horribly?

EDIT: Actually I'm willing to go for Tuv's plan on the condition that the map has a bottomless pit or chasm.
GrayWatch
GrayWatch
RP DM
RP DM

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaoswizkid Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Bottomless pits/chasms + haunted/sinister = Headaches.
I'm also willing to go along with it, and although I think it'd be a lot of headaches, it would be nice to have chasms or bottomless pits (although pits are preferable to the map-eating chasms that I've seen).

We'll need backstory as to why we need to build above ground (shouldn't be too hard though, a shaft deep enough to find the aquifer should do the trick). This is an RP-esque kinda deal, still.

Chaoswizkid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chaoswizkid Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Name: K. Aus

Skills: 5-Stone Detailer 5-Appraiser

Chaoswizkid

Back to top Go down

Post by CromTheConqueror Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:44 pm

Name: Baric Stoutflagon

Skills: 6 - Brewing, 4 - Herbalist
CromTheConqueror
CromTheConqueror

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum